The Save Mart Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers in California and Nevada. It is home to a number of well-known brands in food retailing. You might have seen our banners that include Save Mart, Lucky, Lucky California and Food Maxx. We also have 4 distribution centers and SMART Refrigerated Transport, a trucking firm that transports dry groceries, frozen foods, ice and novelties to all of The Save Mart Companies stores. We are a locally and family owned business, headquartered in the heart of one of the greatest agricultural areas of our nation - the San Joaquin Valley.
The Modesto community is vibrant with great traditions, educational opportunities and multi-cultural lifestyles. Aside from mild weather year-round, Modesto allows for easy access to many major tourist attractions in California. To the west lies the San Francisco Bay Area (90-miles) and the Santa Cruz Beach (115-miles). To the east is the famed Gold Country “Mother Lode” (50-miles) and a little farther you can find the majestic Sierra Nevada mountain range, Lake Tahoe (180-miles) and Yosemite National Park (110-miles).
Some of our competitive benefits include: exceptionally generous benefits package (Health, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K), flexible schedule options, Employee Connection (earn fun and valuable prizes!), Life Long Learning – Educational opportunities, Employee Association (discounted and free tuition options, contests, and support services).
We are currently recruiting for the position of:
The Director of Accounting will be responsible for the financial leadership of The Save Mart Companies and its subsidiaries. This position is responsible for managing all accounting operations, maintaining the integrity of the company’s accounting records and operations in accordance with GAAP. Responsibilities include Monthly and quarterly close, data analysis, and making strategic financial decisions that will meet the organizations short and long-term objectives. Reporting to the Controller of the Save Mart Companies, the ideal candidate will possess a CPA certification.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
· Lead the month, quarter and year-end close activities to ensure timely and accurate reporting of the cost of goods, inventory, and supply chain costs.
· Review and analyze all inventory related entries to provide accurate inventory valuation and reporting.
· Attend senior management meetings to provide support and financial insight for key decisions.
· Actively partner with the Merchandising and Finance team to identify and drive opportunities to optimize store performance.
· Maintain a system of internal controls to ensure the accuracy of physical inventories and explain variances to the prior quarter and prior year.
· Actively manage all balance sheet reconciliations, including inventory and distribution center accounts.
· Oversee the reporting process to publish timely financial statements and analysis for management and board of directors.
· Drive all external audit activities related to the areas of responsibilities.
· Research, analyze and conclude on technical accounting issues, including the preparation of memorandums regarding the company's position in a clear, logical, and comprehensive manner.
· Analyze process automation to reduce cost and increase effectiveness.
· Assist with budgeting and forecasting and ongoing variance analysis.
· Partner and collaborate with peers and business partners to drive change management, lead process improvement, and alignment within the finance group and cross-functionally.
· Building an effective and efficient team by evaluating, staffing, and developing the team’s capabilities and competencies.
· Support other accounting functions on the direction of the controller
LOCATION: MODESTO, CA
Requirements and Qualifications
· Successful track record in increasing leadership roles
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and advanced Excel, pivot table and VLOOKUP skills
· Multi-functional responsibility inside companies with heavy process orientation
· Operates with high integrity, builds trust, quickly wins and sustains credibility in relationships with others; personally approachable
· Excellent financial and problem-solving skills, with an emphasis on innovative and creative solutions that result in higher profitability
· A self-starter who needs little direction; is highly self-motivated
· Possess strong leadership skills and business acumen
Education: CPA Required
Bachelor’s degree or MBA preferred
Experience: Must have minimum of 10 years of experience in both public and private accounting with demonstrated success at increasing levels of responsibility in analytical roles. Retail experience preferred.
4 year’s audit/assurance experience from a Big 4 public accounting firm.
A strong technical accounting background.
Other: Some travel.
Physical: Basic office environment: ability to sit, stand, walk, kneel, stoop, use stairs, reach, pull and lift objects.
Strong Leadership Skills
Drive for Results
Integrity and Trust
Developing Direct Reports
Building Effective Teams
Planning and Organization
The Save Mart Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we welcome resumes from individuals who will contribute to our diverse workforce.